Yesterday we celebrated my grandpa's 90th birthday. His actual birthday is today, October 7th. However, since Stephen and I both worked late today, the fam decided to celebrate a day early.
My grandpa was in high spirits last night, which made the evening so much more enjoyable. It was the first time I'd ever heard my grandpa make jokes - and jokes that made everyone laugh. It was a turning point, I think. For so long and for as long as I can remember, he's been dealing with cancer and heart issues, among many other things.
For dinner, he ate a full plate of food, which is abnormal but very promising that he is actually feeling good! He was chatty and ultimately nonirritable, which is hard to come by these days. He gave me a sense of hope that maybe he and my grandma will be around for at least a couple of more years. My hope is that they will be around for a great-grandchild. It's a long-shot but something that I dream about.
Anyway, my grandpa was happy for his 90th birthday. His request gift from me: my homemade dark chocolate peppermint bark, which he received (a huge batch, might I add) and his other favorite: See's truffles. I also made him a birthday cake; a spice cake with maple buttercream frosting. (See below.) I knew his favorite flavor of cake was spice, but I didn't realize the maple buttercream would be such a big hit!




My grandpa was in high spirits last night, which made the evening so much more enjoyable. It was the first time I'd ever heard my grandpa make jokes - and jokes that made everyone laugh. It was a turning point, I think. For so long and for as long as I can remember, he's been dealing with cancer and heart issues, among many other things.
For dinner, he ate a full plate of food, which is abnormal but very promising that he is actually feeling good! He was chatty and ultimately nonirritable, which is hard to come by these days. He gave me a sense of hope that maybe he and my grandma will be around for at least a couple of more years. My hope is that they will be around for a great-grandchild. It's a long-shot but something that I dream about.
Anyway, my grandpa was happy for his 90th birthday. His request gift from me: my homemade dark chocolate peppermint bark, which he received (a huge batch, might I add) and his other favorite: See's truffles. I also made him a birthday cake; a spice cake with maple buttercream frosting. (See below.) I knew his favorite flavor of cake was spice, but I didn't realize the maple buttercream would be such a big hit!
I called my grandparents tonight to check in and see how their day went. Both were in high spirits, which made me feel better. They both talked about how excited they were for dessert - to have leftover cake. My grandpa also said some things to me that made my heart smile and break at the same time; those words shall remain between he and I.
I can't help but think about how precious life is. You never know how much you have until it's gone. Our time here on earth is so short and we only have so long to leave an impression.
Let's make it a good impression.
Let's make it a good impression.
No comments:
Post a Comment